Pets and Lawn CareMarch 13, 2018
Pets and Lawn Care
We all love our pets! This is about my personal experience, or should I say my dog Casey’s, experience.
Our lawn care business started back in 1981. At the time we applied fertilizers and pesticides that are now banned. There was an area on my front lawn that needed some soil to remove a dip and level. Using a great soil, I leveled and waited for the lawn to fill in naturally. I knew it would take time to fill in and I didn’t want crabgrass nor weeds to germinate and wreak my outcome, so I applied a crabgrass control
Obviously, we pride ourselves on having the best lawn. We did this because it gave our ego a little pat on the back, but we were also running a lawn care company. Our lawn had to look great!
But I didn’t expect what came next.
My dog Casey loved to run around in circles on the front lawn. And with the new soil, he loved it even more. Every time we took Casey out to the front lawn, he ran around in circles and would tear up that soil every single time.
About five days after applying the crabgrass control, I noticed Casey was not his young self. He seemed a bit off. I had taken him out for his daily run on the lawn and, instead of playing and running around in circles, he just kind of moped around. Then, he fell over and started to convulse.
It was scary for me to see our family member, our pet, convulsing, and knowing there was nothing I could do. I collected myself, and took him to the vet as quick as possible.
Once at the vet, they performed their magic and had taken some of his blood for further testing. They also asked questions. The one that pierced my heart was “Do you use fertilizer or chemicals on your lawn?
The lump in my throat said it all. “Yes, I did.”
Casey was at the vet for three days. The blood results came back and stated that it was indeed, a toxicity reaction to chemicals. I immediately went to work to remove all the soil and replaced it with new, uncontaminated soil. I made sure it was thick enough to cover everything that could not be removed. I stopped applying all fertilizers, weed killers, insect killers, and crabgrass controls. Even organic ones.
This was back in the early 90s. It should have been a wake-up call for me. I should have started to push for education and research that showed that we were not only putting our pets at risk, but also our children, our wildlife, strays, water, air, and planet.
I did take some measures. When I worked on a family’s home that had children or pets, I provided instructions that they should stay off the lawn for 24 hours or until dry. If the homeowners weren’t home at the time, I put those instructions in bold lettering. These instructions were really a feel good on my part. Poisons don’t have a safe time to return, they are lurking there for your return.
But I found, and am still finding, that lawn care consumers are much like cigarette smokers in a way. They think the terrible things will never happen to them. And if it does, we have a healthcare system to take care of it. But a life spent on radiation is no life to live.
After this, I realized that the winners are not the homeowners or the neighbours. It’s not even the lawn care companies that apply these toxins day in and day out. It’s the manufacturers.
But they don’t have to win. There is a healthier way to get the lawn care we want. And it benefits everyone on the planet. It’s not organic, as the industry states to make itself look as though it’s bending to the rules while only making money on the back of your health.
It’s eco-restoration. And what that means is putting life back into the soil. It’s not by applying seaweed, kelp, lime, fertilizer, soil, or any other new fad, but actual life full of the diversity required to produce the needed food for every second of every day.
That’s what we do with our Safe Lawn Process. It doesn’t take decades, and it doesn’t need toxins to happen overnight. It just takes the right amount of time to work through the past abuse and toxins that have been put into the soil. At times the weather does play a role in how fast we can do it. But I guarantee that the Safe Lawn Process is working for the betterment of your health, and for the health of the planet.
Casey isn’t the only dog that these toxins affected. And our lawn was not the only poisonous one out there. But we changed our ways, and you can too. If you’re serious about 2018 being one of the healthiest years of your life, then join us. Give us a call at Stangl’s and learn more about how you can make your lawn safer for your pets, and for your family.